Garage doors are available in a variety of sizes, as well as an array of designs. The size you need will depend on the size of your garage itself, whilst certain dimensions are specific to the type of garage door you choose.
Standard single garage door sizes in the UK
Standard – or single – garage doors typically measure:
- 10ft x 7ft
- 9ft x 7ft
- 8ft x 7ft
The most popular size of standard garage door measures 8 ft x 7 ft.
A standard size garage door is suitable for homes that need to park and access a single car, small van or SUV.
If you have a large vehicle, multiple vehicles in your household or you require a lot of storage space alongside space to park your car, you may need to choose a larger garage space and, in turn, a larger garage door.
Double garage dimensions
As standard, a double – or two car – garage door measures:
- 16ft x 7ft
- 14ft x 7ft
- 12ft x 7ft
The most popular double garage size is 16 ft. Designed for houses that wish to park two vehicles, double garage doors are also ideal for larger vehicles, as there is more space to manoeuvre.
Ideally, you should allow at least 92cm/36 inches space between two cars in a double garage, as this will allow you enough room to comfortably open your car doors without hitting the other car.
The majority of domestic garage doors measure 7 ft high as standard, although taller models are available.
Standard garage door width
Differing in size to domestic garage doors, commercial garage doors are considerably larger and should measure 32 ft by in width and 24 ft in height.
Up and over garage doors are not typically used for commercial purposes, as roll up garage doors are more suited to the demands of commercial use.
How do you measure your garage door?
It’s important you measure the space for your garage door accurately, to ensure you choose the right size door for the space.
Before you begin to measure, check:
- The position of any lights or stairs (if applicable)
- The level of the floor
- Any pipes or ducts above the door
- Measure the width of the garage door opening at its widest point. This is the distance between the right and left sides of the finished opening. Ideally, the inside of the garage door opening should be framed with 2″ x 6″ wood
- Measure the height of the opening at the highest point. This is the distance between the floor and the top of the finished opening
- Measure the width of the areas beside the openings. Up to 9.5cm/3.75″ is required on each side for installation of the vertical track. If you wish to install a double garage door, the centre post should be at least 25cm/10″ wide
- Measure the area between the top of the door opening and the ceiling (or to the lowest obstruction at ceiling height)
- Measure the distance from the opening to the rear of the garage or the nearest obstruction. For sectional garage doors, the backroom requirement is the door height plus an additional 45 cm/18″ for manual lift doors. If you wish to use an electric opener, the door’s backroom requirement is the door height plus an additional additional 4’2″
If you are unsure of the size of garage door you need, or which is the best type of garage door for your home, please just get in touch and our team of experts will be happy to advise you.